Sunday, November 11, 2007

Be A Blessing This Year for Christmas!


I am going to post this tonight because I won't be able to use the computer in the morning!! Here is where you can go to find out more about all of this wonderful Christmas Spirit Giving Sharon at Sit With Me Awhile or at Mary's Writing Nook


I think I am to late for Shoe Boxes for Franklin Graham. I want you to know last year my daughter who is a missionary in Mexico was sent 600 shoe boxes from his organization to give out. One of the rules, you couldn't give them to your church members. This was fine! They went out to the poorer part of Guadalajara and gave these out! The children and parents were overwhelmed with joy!! They told the plan to salvation also. Carrie called me up after she got home crying and saying Oh,Mama if only you could have seen their faces! This truly was a moving experience for her. So when you give to Franklin Graham it is going for a beautiful gift for a child.


Also, a church near here made blankets for Carrie church at their Vacation Bible School! The kind made with flannel and you cut loops. This was greeted with almost a riot! The parents went nuts wanting one! We had a lot of them but not enough. These blankets were passed out to even a poorer district. This made me cry when she told me about it because of all the warm blankets we have and take for granted. That is something to work on all year for next Christmas!


Now for what we well try to get done for our project.... I am thinking something that Nancy and I could do, is send Christmas cards to a recovering soldiers. This is something we would be able to do together. She could choose a card and then I can write it for her.

Ok, I just read where this has all CHANGED! I just copied and pasted what the update is about. Here it is from Kathleen Marie at "The Open Window"
Update from Walter Reed Hospital
Walter Reed Army Medical Center officials want to remind people that packages, letters, and cards addressed to 'Any Wounded Soldier' or 'A Recovering American Soldier' will be destroyed. Walter Reed cannot accept these packages in support of the decision by then Deputy Undersecretary of Defense for Transportation Policy in 2001. This decision was made to ensure the safety and well being of patients and staff at medical centers throughout the Department of Defense. In addition, the U.S. Postal Service is no longer accepting "Any Service Member" or "A Recovering American Soldier" letters or packages.


But there are alternatives to blessing our soldiers! The American Red Cross will accept small gifts but - not cards - through them as they don't have the man power to distribute them all. They request CD's, dvds, candy, phone cards and small packages for the wounded serviceman in transition. You can mail your small package to:
American Red Cross
c/o Walter Reed Army Medical Center 6900 Georgia Avenue, NW Washington, D.C. 20307-5001 You may also want to check with your local Veterans Hospital and see if there is a need there. Most likely there is. For more info visit National Veterans Foundation or visit their state by state listing or call 888-777-4443. You may also visit the America Supports You and the USO websites for other ideas.

I think Kelly will be baking and she will make some goodies for our neighbors!! When I was able, I always did this!

12 comments:

Mary said...

Grams,

Wonderful! Cookies and cards for recovering soldiers is a perfect way to let your light shine. Try to take a photo of the card and cookies so you can post it later.

Blessings,
Mary

Sharon Brumfield said...

You did it right!
Thank you so much for joining hands with us and God.
Thank you for posting about the boxes. Our church does this and it blessed my hear to hear about the reality after the boxing. :)
I look forward to hearing about your project completed.

Carole Burant said...

Such wonderful ideas to make someone else's life a little bit brighter. On our news tonight they interviewed one of our local ladies who is in charge of the shoe box drive and she personally delivered them to the children in the poor countries last year...she said the same thing your daughter did, about how happy they were and the looks on their faces were so precious. xoxo

Sandi said...

Doesn't it just make you feel good doing for others. I also like to say say a prayer over each shoebox or card you send for the one receiving it.

Denise said...

Great ideas grams, you have such a kind heart. I love you.

Anonymous said...

you have a real good heart!'
hugs tasha

Melanie said...

What a great idea. Nancy loves sending cards so this seems perfect for you all to do!

Tammy said...

What wonderful ideas!
I wonder if recovering soldiers could use a bookmark? HMMMM...

Ms. Kathleen said...

I have the update on my post for the cards for soldiers...please read before you send a card. Love your ideas! Hugs!

Mary said...

Grams,

Just wanted to let you know that the letters for a recovering soldier are no longer accepted by the hospital. To see why, stop by my blog. However, you can send a small parcel through the American Red Cross at the same address. They ask for music CDs, phone cards and other small things that the soldiers can use. To find out more about this, please visit Kathleen Marie at The Open Window.

Sorry for any inconvenience that this will cause you. My apologies.

Blessings,
Mary

Julie said...

we are going to send boxes to college kids this year. Especially since we have a few near our daughter's age. Thought they would like a box full of goodies too.:)

Love Bears All Things said...

Evey year I plan to do the shoe boxes for Operation Samaritan's Purse. I think I've missed it again. I saw them at the church on Saturday. There is going to be a toy drive for those of us who aren't part to a group supporting a family. I have been buying little things along for this.
Mama Bear