Monday, November 26, 2007

The 12 Questions of Christmas Meme!!


This is Hootin Anni meme that I found over at her blog and it looked like fun so I thought I would give it a try! Here is what she said about it...........


For the holiday season, I've started a meme. "The Twelve Questions of Christmas" If you'd like to participate, I'd be honored to have you join in the fun. If you'd like, you are welcomed to use the meme header graphic!

1. Christmas is wonderful! fill in the blank with ONE WORD]

2. In memories, what was the best part of your Christmases past?
The best part for me was my Mom getting ready for Christmas! When I was really young we always had Christmas on Christmas Eve. My Daddy was Swedish and we had a big dinner on Christmas Eve and then opened our gifts!
When I married the kids Dad he had always celebrated Christmas on Christmas morning and he was horrified that we would do all this the night before!!! So I began always opening gifts in the morning! Then when we had kids we would open our gifts always in the morning!
After my Daddy passed away in 1962 my Mom came to my home for Christmas and she always made homemade noodles, Corn pudding, and all kinds of candy! Fudge, divinity, peanut clusters
I can't remember everything she made but she had platters full of candy and homemade sugar Cookies and decorated them too!! She was called Grandma Cookie!!!

3. Was Santa ever good to you? [describe how and what]


When I was a teenager my folks gave me a new watch ! My Daddy was so proud of it because it was a bulova and over 50 years ago this was a big deal!! One year Karen and Kelly made up a wonderful memory book with pictures of long ago and I burst out crying when I opened it and they felt bad but I was crying for joy!

4. Do you open gifts on Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, or both?


For over 50 years we have opened our gifts on Christmas morning!! But the kids used go to their Dad's for Christmas Eve and one year they said we want our Mom here too!! So for many years I went along and it went just fine!! We opened gifts from them on Christmas Eve!

5. Is there something you make each and every year? [craft or recipe]


I always make Pumpkin Bread every year!! I used to make many loaves and we gave it as gifts and had it for guests, too!! I would wrap it up in clear paper and stick a sprig of Holly in it!! and that is what my kids remember the most!!


6. What is your favorite five[5] Christmas songs/hymns?


Oh Come all Ye Faithful, Silent Night Oh Holy Night Oh I just love them all!!


7. Is there a new tradition for Christmas since your childhood days?

Some years in the late afternoon Bill and his family and the girls would go bowling! Now days we watch the DVD that anyone got in there stocking!!


8. Describe one of your Christmas trips. [whether it's across town or across country]

Oh My!! When I was young and lived in New Mexico my Daddy was SO homesick for Iowa that we went back there for Christmas!! My sister went with us and helped with the driving.This is when towns were just beginning to put up lights over over there business districts and it was a big deal to drive through and see the beautiful lights!! I remember one other thing!!! My brother Ray would leave up his tree for a while after Christmas and that year I talked my sister in law into taking it down the day after Christmas and my brother was flabbergasted when he came home from work and it was gone!!


9. Do you have a special Christmas outfit to wear for the day?
Yes I do, I have a sweat shirt my daughter Carrie gave me a long time ago and I wear it on Christmas Day!! I hope it still fits!


10. Have YOU or any of your family members sat on Santa's lap?
I think all the kids have and they were good when they were on his lap!


11. What is/or will be on your Christmas tree this year?
I always have a lot of Candy Canes on there for everyone and we have to always go out and get more before Christmas Day!!


12. Do you/or have you decorated your yard for Christmas?
No, I take that back last year Karen and Kelly put lights on the porch and down the steps! It was pretty!
There you have it!!! If you would like to do this Christmas meme go on over to Anni's and get the code and you can have as much fun as I did remembering Christmas's in the Past!! I guess you can tell I love Christmas!! I love that we celebrate our Savior's Birthday!! Happy Birthday Jesus!! Don't you love it! Please don't let HIM get lost in the hustle and hubbub of this time of the year!! It is so easy to do!


18 comments:

Mary said...

Carolyn,

What a lovely list of memories. I enjoyed reading about it. Isn't this a great way to learn about our blogging friend's Christmas traditions.

I did the meme also. Please drop by if you get a chance.

Blessings,
Mary

bp said...

I might have to do this in the coming days. Fun idea! Thanks for sharing your memories.

Unknown said...

Nice meme! I may do it but not right now! But one of these days when I am hitting a writers block!

Blessings, Regina

Hootin Anni said...

#3 was so touching about the tears of joy....it made me cry!

That was one terrific meme you did Carolyn!! I loved every minute of it.

Great, great memories, huh? Cool!!!

Sandi said...

I'm with you I love Christmas. Thank you for sharing your Christmas pasts

Julie said...

Love this meme.Will have to post it later when I have a little more time:P

Nan said...

That was fun hearing about all your Christmases past. What a fun game.
Nan

Melanie said...

I loved reading this. What a terrific meme. I will probably play along at some point, but it won't be this week.

Mary said...

Carolyn,

Please drop over to my blog and pick up a copy of the Blogging Friends Forever Award. Enjoy!

Blessings,
Mary

Karen H. said...

Good Afternoon Grams,
I hope you are doing good this Tuesday. It is a beautiful sunshiny day here. It has warmed up to 51 degrees as I am typing this. I am going to do the meme in the next couple of days. I just have to figure out how to do it. LOL. Mary told me how, so maybe tomorrow I will have time to do it. I am doing laundry now so that my oldest daughter's basketball uniform will be clean for tonight. They won last night. I posted about it on my blog this morning. We have to go out of town again tonight also. I am dreading it because I heard last night at the game that this was going to be a rough and tough team we play tonight. Well, take care my friend and have a great Tuesday. May God Bless You and Yours.

Hugs,
Karen H.

Tammy said...

I so enjoyed reading your Christmas meme Miz Gram...I will do mine Thursday!

Have a great day! =)

Susie said...

Loved reading your Christmas meme! You certainly have some wonderful memories and traditions :)

Melli said...

My mom never baked much - the occasional cookie here and there... but one of my sisters used to make the MOST beautiful cookies! All painted with frosting! Her Raggedy Ann and Andy cookies were WAY too pretty to EAT!!! I always enjoyed making the painted cookies too -- but I'm not GOOD at it like she is! Mine are very plain. Hers are gorgeous!

Great answers, all, Grams! I'm putting MINE up on December 1st. And not a moment sooner! LOL!

Gattina said...

Being German, we always open gifts at Christmas eve and it is followed by a meal. Just as your father was used to !

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

I enjoyed reading your meme! Mary told me about it, so I did one too. It's fun!

Katherine

Mommy said...

I really enjoyed reading your meme! Your mom sounds like a special lady. The fact that she made all those goodies would bring warm memories to my mind if she were my grandma.

We used to hang candy canes on our tree also. I don't do it now, because I did one year, and my daughter got into one. :) And I try to save money too. ;-)

Denise said...

This was fun.

SandyCarlson said...

Pumpkin bread and candy canes--two essentials of the holiday.

I enjoyed reading your post.

God bless.

Mine's up at http://slcthoughts.blogspot.com